Saturday, February 19, 2005

Notes from the Music Guy XIV

A little over a year ago, I lost virtually all the hearing in my left ear, after an ear infection. The hearing loss was followed by extreme bouts of vertigo. I was off work for over a month, and it took me closer to two months to be able to return to my ministry as organist for the gospel choir at St. Elizabeth's.

Take up your cross, the Savior said,
if you would my disciple be;


As I went from doctor to doctor hoping for a different prognosis, I wondered, "Why me?" In addition to my music career, I was trying to get a fledgling recording studio off the ground: it's very hard to mix recordings when you can't hear in stereo. It seemed so unfair. I really NEEDED both ears. Why not an eye instead? I bet I'd look cool with a patch.

Take up your cross with willing heart,
and humbly follow after me.

I learned to adjust. I accept the permanency of my condition, though I pray for a miracle. And I realize there are worse fates than being a musician who hears in mono. I rejoice that I am able to serve God here, despite my limitations.

Take up your cross, and follow Christ,
nor think 'til death to lay it down;


In fact, if not a good thing in itself, there's at least a silver lining or two. I take nothing for granted anymore, or at least I try. And it made me sit down and take stock: there are parts of my life that really needed an overhaul - I'm working on those.

For only those who bear the cross
may hope to wear the glorious crown!

So, I'm thinking that this is my cross. I hope I'm right. That crown sounds like a pretty good deal.

And if you say something to me, and I don't respond, I'm not snubbing you, I promise. Try saying it again into my right ear.

May Christ be the song in your heart,

Jay

p.s.: One last reminder - the St. Clement Choir will be accepting new members at Wednesday night rehearsal, 7pm, through February 23rd. Come for music, prayer, worship and fellowship. As always, the more the merrier.

No comments: