Wednesday, December 18, 2002

Our Teeny Tiny Christmas Concert

Elyse, my fellow organist, and my only real school bud so far, has dubbed the chorale women "The Rhinemaidens". When there are odds-n-ends music needs, they assemble the Rhinemaidens and throw something together.

I had the honor of being invited to accompany them in their performance at the Madonna staff Christmas party. We rehearsed Monday, played Tuesday. They warned me about the state of the piano in the dorm dining room, where the party was held, so I dragged along my Kurz SP-88 and guitar amp.

It was fun! Got some free food out of it, and the ladies were very kind about my accompaniment style. Elyse was thrilled that she got to sing instead of having to play.

Here's what we sang:

Christmastime Is Here (Guaraldi) - piano solo
Deck The Halls (arr Willcocks)
Star Carol (Burt/Hutson)
What You Gonna Call Your Pretty Little Baby (arr. Willcocks)
In the Bleak Midwinter (Holst/Rossetti)
Away In a Manger (the "other" melody)
Do You Hear What I Hear (arr. Simeone)
Santa Claus is Coming to Town (our own arr. - trad version segues into the Spector version)
Linus 'n Lucy (Guaraldi) - piano solo

SP-88 didn't sound bad, nor did my cheapo little guitar amp. And the choir sounded nice. We didn't embarrass ourselves, anyhow.

No comments: