Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Email of the day

This may have made the rounds, but it's new to ME! Brilliant. Just brilliant. Thanks to Ching (a PYT who's a far cry from 30, much less 40) for sharing...

Subject: AAADD

I was recently diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D.--Age Activated Attention
Deficit Disorder. I want my post-40 friends to be aware of it in case
it strikes you as well. This is how it manifests:

I decided to wash my car. As I start toward the garage, I notice that
there is mail on the hall table. I decide to go through the mail before
I wash the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail
in the trash can under the table, and notice that the trash can is full.
So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the trash
first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I
take out the trash anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my checkbook out of my folder that is on the table, and see that
there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the den,
so I go to my desk where I find the bottle of soda that I had been
drinking. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the
soda aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the
soda is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator
to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the soda, a vase of flowers on the
counter catches my eye--they need to be watered. I set the soda down on
the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching
for all morning. I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first
I'm going to water the flowers. I set the glasses back down on the
counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote.
Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight when we go
to watch TV, we will be looking for the remote, but nobody will remember
that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den
where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers. I splash some water
on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote
back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill. Then I
head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: the car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid,
there is a warm bottle of soda sitting on the counter, the flowers
aren't watered, there is still only one check in my checkbook, I can't
find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I
did with the car keys. Then when I try to figure out why nothing got
done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long,
and I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try
to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Do me a favor, will you? Forward this message to everyone you know,
because I don't remember to whom it has been sent.

No comments: