Friday, September 13, 2002

Reader Alison (with one L) calls me to task on my claim below that hunger kills more kids than abortion. At first I thought she might be limiting her scope to the US, where it's certainly NOT true (few hunger deaths here), but when I set forth to gather numbers for her, I quickly found that (a) it's really hard to find world abortion statistics, and (b) the US abortion numbers are FAR higher than I had imagined.

Here's what I've found so far:
World hunger deaths: about 6 million
US abortion deaths: about 1.2 million

Given the prevalence of abortion in other countries, and comparatively small US population (about 4% of the world population), it appears Alison may be on to something.

So, apologies for overstating my case, or for stating it without corroboration. Still looking for a clear picture. And thanks again to Alison.

No comments: